Monday, February 19, 2007

Before I learned to knit...


... one of the things I used to do was Counted Cross-Stitch. I am especially fond of the patterns by Marilyn Leavitt Imblum. The photo above is a detail from Celtic Christmas. I finished this project in January 2000 and I guess it took me about a year. It's done on 28-count (28 threads per inch) linen with each stitch done over 2 strands (14 stitches per inch).


I have another of her designs about 3/4 finished. I really should try to finish it while I can see see what I'm doing. My eyes just aren't what they used to be and this is one craft that takes really good eyesight. I loved it though and did it with great gusto, taking it everywhere and stitching when ever and where ever I got the chance.

I have several more of her patterns but I doubt if I'll ever attempt them. Her angel patterns attracted me because of the flowing robes and the serene faces, not because of any religious connotations. I'm a heathern and proud of it! I particularly like her Angel of Mercy pattern because a portion of the sales goes to the Polly Klaas Foundation. But the best in my opinion is Peace Angel. How I would love to stitch that design. If you could see a closeup of her face (which you can't on her website, I'll have to dig out the pattern) you would understand what I mean about her ability to capture serenity. It's twice as detailed as Celtic Christmas, with the face and hands stitched over one thread instead of two.

2 comments:

Twisted Knitter said...

Wow -- this is awesome and I love the detail on the angel's robes

Margaret said...

Gorgeous! My SIL does a lot of cross-stitch but nothing this complex, and I used to embroider as a kid, so I can appreciate just how challenging this project was.